Guinea

Problems that AngloGold Ashanti is striving to address around its Siguiri operation in Guinea include deep-rooted cultural, religious and social biases, pay parity, and the development and advancement of men over women.

Our operation

AngloGold Ashanti has an 85% interest in Siguiri, a multiple open-pit oxide gold mine in the relatively remote district of Siguiri. The remaining 15% is held in trust for the nation by the government of Guinea.

Operations in Guinea [map]

Guinean legislation

The labour law in Guinea protects women against violence, abuse and harassment, and precludes women from working at night unless authorised by the Labour Inspector. It also guarantees everyone equal access to employment and equal treatment in terms of pay.

Representation

Gender split: workforce (%)
icon

1 Woman in management

Key initiatives

Siguiri’s recruitment policy specifically encourages the hiring of women. It is compulsory for all job advertisements to mention the attention given to applications from women.

The operation has launched a graduate trainee programme in the technical fields of mining, engineering, processing and geology. This programme has led to the recruitment of 22 graduate trainees to date, 41% of whom are women. The operation’s internship programme also places special emphasis on the recruitment of women.

Siguiri has made important efforts to adapt its working environments to the needs of its female employees. Toilets and change rooms have been restored, fitted out and reserved exclusively in the plant and other working areas.

Opportunities for further inclusion

In Guinea, women are often perceived to be responsible for more domestic activities, including managing the home and raising children. As a result, their inclusion and advancement in historically male-dominated industries, such as mining, raises complex social and economic issues.

Some of the problems that AngloGold Ashanti is striving to address at Siguiri include deep-rooted cultural, religious and social biases, pay parity, and the development and advancement of men over women. Ablution facilities are also inadequate for the needs of women, as is the way in which pregnancy is perceived and managed.

AngloGold Ashanti is aware that it needs to address these issues and misconceptions directly, and that diversity and inclusion training at all levels of the operation is critical. We have a responsibility to ensure that both women and men acknowledge that mining is for everyone – and that women feel properly supported in their professional endeavours.

Contacts

For details on diversity and inclusion initiatives planned and underway in Guinea, kindly contact:

Prosper Lakpo Maomy
plakpo.maomy@AngloGoldAshanti.com